The Guinea Piggyn World

HomeHome  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

I've read that you can give your guinea pig cranberry juice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 1182

PostSubject: I've read that you can give your guinea pig cranberry juice   Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:53 pm

Don't give them the cranberry juice which has added sugar / corn syrup etc, get hold of some 'pure' cranberry juice - that is just cranberry juice - you can try a dilution of about 75% cranberry to 25% water. As well as helping with cystitis (& UTI's) it also contains lots of Vitamin C - so is great for piggies. You can try adding a separate water bottle to your cage filled with the juice - and another one with water - so your piggy has a choice of what she wants to drink. Try them on fresh cranberries too.

Machito Pulguita Osito Cenizo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
3Piggles

Number of posts : 316

PostSubject: Re: I've read that you can give your guinea pig cranberry juice   Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:15 am

If you feed your piggy cranberry juice, or red peppers, you are going to get red in the urine. That's okay, as not everything gets digested before coming out the other end. It's not blood. If there's a reason why you're watching the urine for signs of blood, don't feed them anything red, as it will give you a false reading.
High Vitamin C foods and drinks should be fed in moderation, and high acid drinks, like orange juice, should be fed only as a treat on special occasions, and not in any quantities. It's best to feed them water, with a little fruit juice chaser once in a while. I use a syringe that has a max of one ML. That's plenty for a treat, but shouldn't give them mouth sores.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 1182

PostSubject: Re: I've read that you can give your guinea pig cranberry juice   Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:19 am

I never have feed my piggies orange juice instead I feed them natural oranges and just little pieces once a week. Then I combine their diet with veggies, hay and pellets.

Machito Pulguita Osito Cenizo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
3Piggles

Number of posts : 316

PostSubject: Re: I've read that you can give your guinea pig cranberry juice   Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:22 am

That's good. My late piggy, Dallas, was an orange lover. If anyone entered the room with an orange, he would stare them down until they gave him a piece, lol. A balanced diet is good for them, but anything beyond water, hay and pellets should be fed in moderation. It sounds as if you're doing a really good job.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I've read that you can give your guinea pig cranberry juice   

Back to top Go down

I've read that you can give your guinea pig cranberry juice
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1