The Guinea Piggyn World

HomeHome  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

I sometimes notice a 'milky' liquid in the front corner of m

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 1182

PostSubject: I sometimes notice a 'milky' liquid in the front corner of m   Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:40 pm

I asked this very same question and have since been advised that this is perfectly normal - it is a fluid produced when piggies groom themselves or to ease irritation - it can sometimes be seen after bathing a guinea pig or when they are outside in their exercise run. Note: make sure it is just the 'milky' fluid and not discharge caused from something stuck in the eye.

Machito Pulguita Osito Cenizo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
3Piggles

Number of posts : 316

PostSubject: Re: I sometimes notice a 'milky' liquid in the front corner of m   Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:52 am

The milky fluid will stay in the eye, and not harden or become intrusive. Any signs of liquid running down the piggy's face from they eye, or crusted in the corners of the eye, are reason to get the piggy to the vet and check for an upper respiratory infection (URI). URI's are common in piggies, and if not treated, lead to pneumonia and other respiratory problems, and death. Antibiotics such as Baytril are used to treat URI's, but a narrow spectrum antibiotic is needed if the wide spectrum antibiotic doesnt' work. Don't let the vet continue the same treatment beyond a week, without noticeable signs of improvement.
I have a list of good antibiotics, and will post it as soon as I find it. It was on the old computer when the disk crashed, and I have to find the paper copy I have.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 1182

PostSubject: Re: I sometimes notice a 'milky' liquid in the front corner of m   Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:55 am

I noticed the white fluid after am done with his bath time, but it goes away within 5 minutes

Machito Pulguita Osito Cenizo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I sometimes notice a 'milky' liquid in the front corner of m   

Back to top Go down

I sometimes notice a 'milky' liquid in the front corner of m
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1