The Guinea Piggyn World

HomeHome  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

3 layers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
hamsterhaven

Number of posts : 42

PostSubject: 3 layers   Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:30 pm

Is it not best to put 3 layers in the Guinea Pig cage? - these are:

Layers No.1: newspaper

Layer No.2: Wood Shavings

Layers No.3: short cut hay.

I read somewhere that 3 layers is best for the Guinea Pig.

Beth.
www.hamsterhaven.forumakers.com
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 1182

PostSubject: Re: 3 layers   Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:53 pm

Well, it all depends the maintainance you give to your piggies cage(s). I used newspaper and my little baby ate it like crazy, therefore I took out the newspaper to avoid any problem(s). About wood shaving it also depends on the type of wood shavings, cedar shavings are not healthy for piggies, I don't know if you have used this, but in case you have you'll notice the strong scent it has and is very annoying. This shaving contains oils and perfumes which can cause URIs (upper respiratory infections). Now, the hay as a bedding it needs to be changed everyday and I don't recommend it because it can hurt your piggy's eye(s) and it wont be as comfy as fleece, carefresh bedding or any other type.

Machito Pulguita Osito Cenizo

Last edited by GuineaPigLuvver on Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:00 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : MISSPELLED WORD)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hamsterhaven

PostSubject: Re: 3 layers   Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:32 am

I read this on a Guinea Pig website, I might get a Guinea one Day you see and decided to research.
I'm aware of the dangers of wood shavings- its the same with Hamsters, I have 3 you see.
I was wary of the newspaper thing.
Thanks for you reply Smile
Beth
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 3 layers   Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:42 am

You're more than welcome! I use shavings but I make sure they are plain. No oils, no scent, no NOTHING. I haven't try the hay as a bedding and neither I will because I've heard comments and dislikes of members who have used it and besides that's their food!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
3Piggles

Number of posts : 316

PostSubject: Re: 3 layers   Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:58 am

I think that's cedar shavings that are bad for piggies. The scent is too strong for animals that are so close to the bedding all the time. The reason I corrected the "shreddar" to "cedar" is because shredding newspapers, paper bags, etc. is another way of creating inexpensive bedding. Piggies usually don't eat the paper in shredded pieces, the way they do when it's in big pieces. It's a great way to recycle and save money on one layer of bedding.
I haven't heard that any number of layers is best. It depends on the type of bedding you use. If you use shavings, or any of the packaged, spreadable beddings like Carefresh, it's easier to clean the cage if you put newspapers on the bottom and the bedding on top. Just remove the newspaper full of bedding and dispose of it. It helps keep the bottom of the cage clean, and you don't have to sweep, vac or dump all the individual bedding pieces.
I use a pine pellet bedding that only has to be changed ever couple of months. It absorbs the urine. I cover it with one layer of sheet and one of towel, so the poos don't get into the pine pellets. The pellets break down into granules. I get the shop vac from the basement when I replace the pellets, and just vac it out. The bottom of my cage is lined with linoleum, and the pellets not only keep it clean, but cleaned off all the old staines from when I used the wood shavings and newspapers.
Pigjes uses cloth bedding, all of which is machine washable. She uses one layer of towel, one of sheet and one of fleece. She found using the cheapest sheets and towels was much more absorbent than using the expensive ones. I use the cheap ones, too. The fleece I use I bought at Walmart. She uses something called fleece, but 100% cotton. Since fleece is made from recycled soda bottles, and has no cotton, I'm not sure exactly what that fleece is. She's in Belgium, so they aren't necessarily the same product, just because the name is the same.
The best bedding is what you can keep changed and depood, easily, is inexpensive enough for you to be able to replace it when you need to, not when you can afford to, and is readily available. Just avoid cedar shavings.
Good luck with your research. I'm so glad you're doing it before getting a piggy, rather than afterward, the way so many of us did. That's how we end up with the too small cages we don't use, and all the other things that weren't the best buys, but looked good in the pet stores, lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 3 layers   Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:59 am

Lol, omg I can't believe I missed that word lol thanks Laurie!!!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
hamsterhaven

PostSubject: Re: 3 layers   Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:11 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 3 layers   Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:17 am

hamsterhaven wrote:
Ok :D
Beth,

Do you type all the time your URL??? Lol, you can write it in your signature if you need help just ask me Wink

Back to top Go down
View user profile
hamsterhaven

PostSubject: Re: 3 layers   Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:45 pm

Yeah I put it in my signature but it dont work Sad but it dont matter, thanks for offering. Smile

Can you give me some general Guinea Pig advice on how how care in a PM please Smile might get one soon Smile

Beth,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 3 layers   Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:17 pm

Sure I will !

Back to top Go down