The Guinea Piggyn World

HomeHome  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

...I hope i did not make a mistake.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CircleOfBoys

Number of posts : 82

PostSubject: ...I hope i did not make a mistake.   Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:51 am

Hey all

Today On the freecycle in my area, a lady was trying to get rid of two guinea pig girls that her daughter no longer cares for. I realy did not want any more pigs but these girls were listed as free )( Snake feeders are around here )( and must go before two tomorow. Their aren't anyone near me that are shelters etc etc So...I responded to her emails and agreed to take both of them.

Heres the fun part...one of them looks pregnant. In my head, I already have a list of people that would take in the babys so atleast thats set. I just need to research and make sure my knoledge is up to date.

I hope i did not mistake about taking these girls. These would be my first girl guineas. Do you think It was okay to take them?

Cara
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 1182

PostSubject: Re: ...I hope i did not make a mistake.   Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:58 am

I think you did the right thing, they needed a safe home and with you they obviosly have it. If one of the girls is preg. you need to be very careful and feed her properly, also ask about her age to see if she is in the right age of breeding that way, you'll know if any bad things will happen. For example a first time mother over the limit of breeding age or too young. Also, you need to wait approximately 2 weeks before intros. with your piggies in case the girls are sick or anything keep them separated by a room or two. When two weeks have passed place them in two different cages so they can smell each other and so on until you think they are ready to join the gang lol

Machito Pulguita Osito Cenizo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CircleOfBoys

PostSubject: Re: ...I hope i did not make a mistake.   Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:08 am

Yeah they are down in my grandfathers room untill I make sure they are clean. but they are girls so they won't be in the boys cages but in their own cage. ^.^

I have no idea how old the mama looker is but the other one looks to be like five months maybe? She's tiny, while the other one is big. I hope she isn't a first time mama, or is just big for her age.

I have less information about these girls than my other pigs. They don't even have a name and I havn't looked at them fully yet because they were realy scared.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: ...I hope i did not make a mistake.   Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:10 am

hhmm try to ask the lady who gave them to you their age and everything you can about them, that'll help us to help you help them hahaha

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CircleOfBoys

PostSubject: Re: ...I hope i did not make a mistake.   Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:13 am

lol I emailed her but I havn't got anything back yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: ...I hope i did not make a mistake.   Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:34 am

Well let's hope she gives you the right age and info.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CircleOfBoys

PostSubject: Re: ...I hope i did not make a mistake.   Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:42 am

Yes indeed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CircleOfBoys

PostSubject: Re: ...I hope i did not make a mistake.   Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:03 am

Should I feed the pregnant sow part of calcuim tablets?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: ...I hope i did not make a mistake.   Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:06 am

I dont recommend that, if you provide a good quality of veggies, pellets, and hay there's no need to provide any vitamin c, salt licks or anything like that. I recommend alfalfa hay and pellets. They are a good source of vitamin and nutrition for preggies sows. Just provide them fresh veggies, pellets and hay everyday and she will be fine. Let her do exercise even thought she is pregnant she also needs exercise also, try to hold her the least you can, you might hurt the pups accidentally.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
snugglebunnylumpkins
Banned

Number of posts : 57

PostSubject: Re: ...I hope i did not make a mistake.   Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:19 pm

GuineaPigLuvver wrote:
I think you did the right thing, they needed a safe home and with you they obviosly have it. If one of the girls is preg. you need to be very careful and feed her properly, also ask about her age to see if she is in the right age of breeding that way, you'll know if any bad things will happen. For example a first time mother over the limit of breeding age or too young. Also, you need to wait approximately 2 weeks before intros. with your piggies in case the girls are sick or anything keep them separated by a room or two. When two weeks have passed place them in two different cages so they can smell each other and so on until you think they are ready to join the gang lol

She shouldn't introduce them at all. She has all boys. She does not need to put the boys with the girls even for "supervised" visits. The deed can happen in an instant.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CircleOfBoys

PostSubject: Re: ...I hope i did not make a mistake.   Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:26 pm

lol. I have seperate cages! I know the birds and the bees and I don't like breeding.

The girls are in quarintine untill I get my chloroplast for the first level of my three level cage. Early has the top level, jiggy has the middle, and The girls have the bottom.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: ...I hope i did not make a mistake.   Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:16 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot she had only boys lol well if you make them a cage try to do one with a roof, boys will jump and try to scape.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
3Piggles

Number of posts : 316

PostSubject: Re: ...I hope i did not make a mistake.   Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:31 am

We have some long time breeders on this forum, and I'm sure, once they get this thread, they'll be more than willing to help you with your breeding questions. I think it's great that you took the girls and are giving them a good home. That's how I got my girls. I was fostering them, lol. It's been three years now, and no one ever looked for a home for them.
You should probably start a journal for the pgirl you think is pregnant, just listing weight and what you're feeding her.
It will be hard to feed her as a pregnant sow, with the little girl not needing the alfalfa. You might want to think about a way to feed them separately, maybe have specific feeding times if that can be arranged, and give each a small bowl of their own pellets. If you're going to do two hay areas, with alfalfa in one and timothy in the other, it's okay for the pregnant sow to eat the timothy, but not for the little girl to eat the alfalfa.
You should take the girls in for a vet visit, just to get started off with an official check of their health. That way you know if it changes, rather than having hidden symptoms come out later. The vet can also tell you if the sow is pregnant or just a really big sow. If she's pregnant, and the little one is under weight, it's probably okay to feed them both alfalfa.
Good luck, and thank you for being there for those g-girls.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
snugglebunnylumpkins
Banned

Number of posts : 57

PostSubject: Re: ...I hope i did not make a mistake.   Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:51 am

I don't think it's a bad thing if the other sow eats the alfalfa. It is certainly better than not eating any hay, and the girls are not going to care that they are supposed to eat one or the other.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CircleOfBoys

PostSubject: Re: ...I hope i did not make a mistake.   Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:16 am

Good Idea with the tread. I think I'll make a first person part for each of the girls. It'll be cute. ^.^

I Have a thread about her pregnancy some where soshould i just add it to it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Romaine
Banned

Number of posts : 156

PostSubject: Re: ...I hope i did not make a mistake.   Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:58 am

just add it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CircleOfBoys

PostSubject: Re: ...I hope i did not make a mistake.   Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:28 am

i made it into a new thread. ^.^
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Romaine
Banned

Number of posts : 156

PostSubject: Re: ...I hope i did not make a mistake.   Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:32 am

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ...I hope i did not make a mistake.   

Back to top Go down

...I hope i did not make a mistake.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1