The Guinea Piggyn World

HomeHome  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CircleOfBoys

Number of posts : 82

PostSubject: Question   Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:18 am

Hey,

I've noticed that one of my boys jiggy likes to bite, and i don't mean nibble when he needs to go to the rest room or taste. Everytime I pick him up He chews on my arm. I usualy say oww even though it dossn't realy hurt )( dull teeth? )( and only put him down unless he stops.

What else can i do to help his biting problem?

Cara
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 1182

PostSubject: Re: Question   Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:38 am

Well, first check him/her to see if she does not has any mites or anything like that, sometimes you don't really know when they exist until your piggy starts acting like this way. If, mites it hurts and it feels incomfortable and it can make the piggy aggresive, by running away from you (although this behavior is normal) winning when you hold he/she and biting, because it hurts and you might be touching in the right spot. If you check your piggy and the skin looks healthy, no mites or anything he is just not in the mood or you are trying to touch it where the piggy does not like it. You can try by petting the piggy first slowly and so on, than place your hand underneath it like doing tickle tickle Smile and if you see if he is confident then try to hold the piggy but slowly. He might also be scared and his only defensive way is by biting.

Machito Pulguita Osito Cenizo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
3Piggles

Number of posts : 316

PostSubject: Re: Question   Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:19 am

My Zippy is a biter, and it's for several reasons. He bit, like your Jiggy, when he was trying to tell me something. I pick him up with my thumbs under his arms so he has to face me. I very sternly but gently say "no bite" right to his face, a couple of times. Then I snuggle him and give him kisses so he knows he's loved. It takes a few times, but if that's the reason he's biting, just to tell you he needs to be put down to pee, then he has to learn another way of communicating. He'll keep biting instead of talking or pulling on your clothes, if he's isn't reprimanded. But make the reprimand loving, so he knows he did something wrong, but you still love him.
Also, when he bites and before you pick him up to say "no bite" put your finger on his mouth, very gently, as a reminder that that's not okay. Don't leave it there, or he may bite it.
Since he's trying to tell you to put him down so he can pee, make sure you put him down after the "no bite" snuggle, kiss, down to pee. That way he'll know he'll get to pee, but he'll learn to tell you more gently, or in a different way.
Lastly, make sure you listen to him really carefully. He may have started biting because he tried to tell you or someone else, other ways, didn't get his point across, and was told he was bad for peeing on them. Make sure you listen when he talks, and respond to what he's saying.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
3Piggles

PostSubject: Re: Question   Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:23 am

Other reasons for biting:
Zippy chews my clothes where he smells and tastes remains of his snack, thinking there's more there. He bites/chews if he's really upset or stressed, and he seems to be biting when he's actually grooming me.
Keep snack off your skin/clothes, so you don't have that reason to bite. IF you like to hold him and feed him snack, use a towel or something to separate the snack from you, so you can take the towel away, and no smell or taste remains.
If he bites because he's really upset, which doesn't seem like the case if you just picked him up, try to wrap him in a towel or blanket that he can chew instead of chewing you. Zippy made swiss cheese out of my tshirt after his first Ivermectin shot. He was really upset.
If he's grooming, which is also unlikely if he's a new piggy. Grooming is a loving response to a trusted human. He still needs to have his biting kept in check so he doesn't hurt you.
Use the "no bite" lesson to get him to find another way to talk to you. Keep a blanket or towel to protect you if he gets upset, such as at the vet's, or when he's getting a bath or his nails done. Move him when he starts to bite, so he can't reach the skin. Once he's moved, gently blow on his nose before putting him back against you, so he has to stop and think about what he's doing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Question   Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:24 am

Aw, that's so sweet you're not going to believe me but I know when my baby boar is going to be he starts going in circle and starts doing wheek, wheek, and smelling everything than buuff pee pee lol. The first time he did I was like hhmm I think something is hurting them, until I felt something really hot running down my knee, then he did it a couple of time and therefore, every time he used to do that I just to go running to look for a napkin or paper towel for him to pee. It works every time, but there's sometimes I am really concentrate in the forum and has peed on me Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
3Piggles

PostSubject: Re: Question   Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:31 am

That's why it's so important to listen to them, and not just think they're making cute noises, or doing cute things. Daughter and hub almost always get wet, as they don't listen. Then they get upset with the piggy, who tried to tell them. Sometimes I get wet for purposely not listening, if I really don't want to put the piggy down to pee. That's usually after they've had a bad vet visit, and I dress to get wet, so it's okay for them. They get more cuddles to help them get over their bad visit.
Your baby sounds really, really cute. I bet he gives you lots of happy times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Question   Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:41 am

Yeah they all are cute, but the baby seems to be more attach to me. Every time he sees me he does the wheeking sound it is very cute and sweet. When I pet him and touch gently his back he does the funniest thing I've never seen with my other babies he stretches all his body and leaves one leg all the way back lol he is very sweet. I also like to rub my nose with his, it feels so cute when I feel him breathing over my nose Im in love with my babies

Back to top Go down
View user profile
3Piggles

PostSubject: Re: Question   Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:54 am

Babies are the best. I got Zippy at 4 weeks old. He was just put in the tank with the big pig strangers, and I rescued him. He wheeked in his little carrier box, so I took him out and put him in my shirt for the ride home. He talked, settled in and fell asleep. He's been mine ever since. He comes when I call him, tells me everything on his mind. He's free with me, while the others had to get use to me and accept me. That strecthing is total relaxation. He completely accepts you. That's so sweet!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Question   Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:06 am

Awwww, well yeah older piggies are harder to accept you and get use to be handle by you, but that does not seems to work for the baby lol I always stick one finger in the cage and he comes running and bites it really soft, sometimes hard but I forgive him, because he is my precious little cutie piggie Smile other times if I talk or walk and he hears me he will do the wheeking sound very loud until I go to the cage than he stops doing it. He is very cute and funny he also has a little biiittt lol of bad temper there's times when I want to touch him and he jumps and jumps until I play with his little ears lol

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CircleOfBoys

PostSubject: Re: Question   Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:42 am

Thank you all for the responses. :hugs:

The boys have had two doses of mite medicine )( intervectin )( from december seven days apart but they still scratchs alittle so I'm waiting untill feburary untill I do them a second set of doses.

I'm pretty sure jiggy is biting because he just dossn't like being held. I can pet him, and open his mouth to see his recent cut from fighting with early
)( I split them up)( and he purrs, or leans my way. I'm going to try your ways to maybe see if he stops being a meanie. He also bites if you stick your finger in his cage.

I know what you guys also mean about the peeing thing. When I sit at the computer with him in my lap, I would always wonder why he was doing this nip softly once,do it again harder, and than a do it over and over quickly untill....jiggy go pee pee! At least it's a good way to feel the pee for grittyness that means theirs sludge in his system. lol

Cara

ps- Early comes to me like a dog would. jiggy I swear is my old cat tiger reincarnated. He's lets me know when I take too long with his veggies, and lets me know when he wants to go to bed. I put the electric heater in my room at night for the cats and the guineas before I lay down to sleep, and I make alot of noise before I finaly settle down so He gets even louder. He has to have some kind of disorder. lol But I love him to death.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Question   Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:54 am

hehehe, make sure not to put the electric heater over 80F it can be bad for your piggies. They can resist cold better then hot although there's also a limit for the cold they're not penguins lol

Back to top Go down
View user profile
3Piggles

PostSubject: Re: Question   Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:21 am

Penguins rule the freezer, lol. It's better to keep the temp under 75, as that's pretty much the safe upper limit. It varies depending on what the pigs are use to. Here in New Hampshire, we got really hot, humid spells, but the rest of the summer, it's usually not that hot. I always have the a.c going to keep the humidity down for them, as they're indoor pigs, but outdoor pigs probably get use to the temperature fluctuations, and only need lots of help during the hot/humid times. Since pigs are kept outdoors in warm places, they must have temperature fluctuations, and just get use to them if they're not too extreme.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CircleOfBoys

PostSubject: Re: Question   Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:06 am

i only wish my bedroom would get that warm...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question   

Back to top Go down

Question
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1