The Guinea Piggyn World

HomeHome  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Heat Stroke

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Pigs N Buns

Number of posts : 31

PostSubject: Re: Heat Stroke   Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:17 pm

Seriously the freezer?!?!?! cyclops

I have never thought of that.... Hmmmmm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Romaine
Banned

Number of posts : 156

PostSubject: Re: Heat Stroke   Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:04 pm

Pigs N Buns wrote:
Seriously the freezer?!?!?! cyclops

I have never thought of that.... Hmmmmm

Well stop thinking it now!!!!

Freezers are for chins not piggies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pigs N Buns

Number of posts : 31

PostSubject: Re: Heat Stroke   Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:38 am

Oh I am glad you cleared that one up!

I was going to say in all my years of Guinea pigs I have never heard that one, it just doesn't seem safe.

The thought of wittle booties is adorable though! :bunny:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
3Piggles

Number of posts : 316

PostSubject: Re: Heat Stroke   Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:20 am

The penguins, I told you. The penguins rule the freezer. Actually, it's too cold in the freezer for piggies. Especially regular house piggies that live at room temperature. In the Andes, they probably live in really cold temps, but in the house they live at a fairly constant temp. Cold isn't as bad for them as heat, as piggies will huddle together in any warm place they can find, and share body warmth to stay alive. Freezers go way below body warmth. They're meant to freeze foods and keep them that way to preserve them. I find my piggies don't like it much below 60 degrees faranheit, or they just huddle together to stay warm. Freezers are set at 0 degrees faranheit, which is way too cold, widdle hats and booties or not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugbug

Number of posts : 82

PostSubject: Re: Heat Stroke   Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:11 am

wow... a freezer.... (lol)

sounds cold Wink

How long does it usually take for a GP to pull outta a heatstroke?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
3Piggles

Number of posts : 316

PostSubject: Re: Heat Stroke   Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:35 am

It's best to get the piggy to a vet ASAP, if it gets heat stroke. It will probably die. The idea is to keep it from getting heat stroke, by providing enough cool places for it to lie against and stay cool. Once the heat stroke has started, they need intervenous liquids fed under controlled conditions, the same way people do, and they need to have their body temp monitored constantly. GPs get hypothermic very easily, so making them cold to stop the heat stroke could kill them very quickly.

Even if you have a fan or air conditioner, put an ice pack, ice bottle or whatever you're using, in the cage as a cold point for them. If you have toi leave them for any lengthy time, have several cold sources in the cage. A power failure would stop the fan or air conditioner, and they'd need the cold sources to stay alive. They should be fine up to about 75 degrees, even up to 80 with enough air moving to bring down the air temp right around them. If it's very humid, the high temp is lower than if the air is very dry. It's just so much easier to put a cold source in the cage than to try to save the piggy when it gets heat stroke, or lose it to heat stroke.

Also, make sure there is plenty of water near the cold source so the piggies don't have to go far to get the water they will need to keep from getting dehydrated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heat Stroke   

Back to top Go down

Heat Stroke
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Guinea Piggyn World :: 
Cavy Topics
 :: Emergency Conditions
-