The Guinea Piggyn World

HomeHome  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The importance Of Observing your cavy.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 1182

PostSubject: The importance Of Observing your cavy.   Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:16 pm

You should always check on your guinea pigs and handle them frequently, by doing this you will notice any changes that occurs with your cavy eaither physically or in ist behavior. It is very important that you have contact with your cavy if possible everyday 2-3 (if more better) a day, this will help you to know if they are sick, thin, and other types of disorders. Guinea pigs are very good at hiding their illness, because in the wild the sick or the weak gets thrown out of the group, therefore they never show their signs of ill and when they do I RECOMMEND you to take your piggy(s) to the vet as soon as possible. An important tip to know if your cavy(s) is healthy is to weight your cavy weekly. These are some of the things you should always check when handleling your cavy(s).

.Was this lump here ?
.Is my piggy's hair falling?
.Does the skin of my piggy looks healthy? Why is it greasy or scrufy?
.Is their any scratches on my piggy? Are they causing scars, infections?
.Are my piggy's eyes and nose free of crustiness, cloudness, and discharge?
.Is my piggy breathing normal or with a whistle tone?
.Are my piggy's nail and toes in good condtion? Is there any swelling?
.Are my piggys in eagor of food? Do they ignore food? Why do they ignore the food?
.Is there any sign of blood in the cage?
.Are the droppings of my piggy healthy or it seems like diarrhea?
.Are they in a corner sitting puffed hair and looking miserable?
.Is there any chin sores in my piggy's mouth?
.Does my piggy has a wet chin?
.Are they eating and drinking well?
.Are they gaining/loosing weight?

These questions are very important and need to be done at least 3-4 a week to make sure your piggy(s) is healthy and safe. These questions can safe your cavy(s) life!

Machito Pulguita Osito Cenizo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
3Piggles

Number of posts : 316

PostSubject: Re: The importance Of Observing your cavy.   Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:22 am

Also, check poos. Guinea pig poos tell a lot about their health. Good poos should be dark and solid, but not rock hard. It should take reasonable pressure to squish one. Light colored poos, squishy poos, strangely shaped poos are signs to watch your pig's habits, make sure he/she is getting enough water and hay, and is eating pellets.

Hay is extremely important to a piggy's health, as it keeps digesting food moving through and out of the system. Hay also helps keep their ever-growing teeth ground down to the right length. Timothy hay has been found to work better than other hays, with Western Timothy being the most effective. If Timothy is not available, any hay, especially in large quantities, helps piggy work that food and water to the best effect. The bulk hay will help with the digestion, and any hay helps with the teeth. Good hay in good quantities make for good poos.

It's a good idea to get to know the poos, and keep a record of the general quantity and type of poos you see in the cage. Vets usually ask for this information, and having a few days or a week's worth of info helps the vet determine what's happening with the piggy.

Really dark poos usually mean the pig is getting to much vitamin C, and you should cut back on hi-C food like spinach. Mushy poos usually mean the pig is getting too many greens of all kinds, so cut back on leafy treats. Semi-liquid poos mean see the vet, as the piggy is not processing food right, getting the nutrients it needs out of the food, and probably has a health reason you can't see.

Vitapoos, which are darker and larger than regular poos, are filled with vitamins that passed through the piggy's system without being absorbed. Piggies eat vitapoos, and vitapoos are used, in a mash, to feed ill piggies having trouble eating on their own.

Last edited by on Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The importance Of Observing your cavy.   Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:30 am

Thanks for the addition, this will be more helpful to members that are looking for this topic.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
3Piggles

Number of posts : 316

PostSubject: Re: The importance Of Observing your cavy.   Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:32 am

Hehe, can you tell I'm a retired writer. I had to keep editing until it was JUST right, lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The importance Of Observing your cavy.   Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:36 am

Lol! well im not good at writing and im 18 so that means im just learning how to write, and english is my second language.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The importance Of Observing your cavy.   

Back to top Go down

The importance Of Observing your cavy.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1